Monday, February 25, 2013

Joy in Abrantes

Oi, minha familia e amigos!

Eu amo voces muito!

Guess what? Nilson was baptized yesterday! It was so cool to see. We had stake conference yesterday in Camaçari and two other companionships in my district had baptisms too. We did them all in the same meeting after the conference. Three baptisms for our district this week. It was really cool. We visited Nilson every day this past week to teach him and he always just accepted everything with such faith. He was nervous to be baptized, but he did it. He was baptized by his brother and he actually almost hit his head when he went down into the water. But he said he felt goosebumps after. So cool. He left such a hard life. He already did a lot on his own to change his life, but the gospel I know will help him to continue and be an even better person. What a miracle! I was talking with Sister K after the baptism yesterday and even though I know it is a miracle, it just seems so normal to me that he is baptized. Like it's something I have known for a long time. Interesting. We and the elders made cake for the baptism to make it a little more of a special day. All I can say is, Brazilians like their bolo (cake). 

We have more possibilities so I hope and pray that we can help them develop the faith to change their lives and be baptized too. The branch needs I believe 5 more men before the branch can become a ward and the chapel to start being built. These past couple of weeks they have been building another little building on the church site of the sítio for us to hold our Sacrament meeting in because members were complaining about the heat. I have high hopes for this next transfer that starts tomorrow. 

We heard what was going to happen with the transfer this morning. I will stay in Vila de Abrantes! I am so excited. And ... I will be companions with Sister Costa! She was one of the sisters we stayed with when we went to Santo Antonio for a week and a half. She is so sweet and helpful! She is from São Paulo so I am excited that my portuguese will improve! Yay! I had a feeling I would be companions with a brazilian but I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to communicate effectively enough with her and I wouldn't remember things about this area. But I feel better now and I think this next transfer will be great. Sister Kalamafoni will go to Senhor do Bonfim for her last transfer. I believe President opened up two or three areas for sisters this transfer. We are getting 5 brazilian sisters tomorrow. That's more new sisters in one transfer than this mission has seen in a long time ... maybe even ever. 

Remember the one who has that really really big problem with drinking? We hadn't visited for a little bit but did just really quickly yesterday for Sister K to say goodbye. He still has the desire to be baptized. I feel that we need to completely start over with him. I am willing to try because I know he can stop and I know that we found him for a reason. It will be interesting.

It is still hot here, but it has been rainy. I love the rain! 
 
English class was small this week. We had to meet outside under a little pavilion this week because the construction people were in the building and everything was all moved around. And it was pouring. And because we were outside, of course most of the people wanted to play soccer instead. Oh well. I guess you just can't take brazilians away from soccer. 

Well, I hope things go well this week. Thank you for your prayers and support.
Love you all.

Até mais.

Com amor,

Sister Villaroman



1 comment:

  1. Lauren! You are doing amazing things! Thanks for being such an awesome example!

    ReplyDelete